Facts and figures
Cardiff University was ranked 5th amongst UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) based on quality, and is a member of the Russell Group, a group of 24 leading UK research intensive universities.
We are the 9th largest university in the UK in terms of student numbers with a total estimated income for 2017/18 of ￡518m.
- 33,190 students
- £100M research contracts
- 84% student satisfaction
We have 33,190 students enrolled, representing over 130 countries.
- 23,960 undergraduates
- 9,230 postgraduates
- 8,620 international students (non-UK EU included)
- 84% overall satisfaction in National Student Survey 2019
- 1,000 students volunteer in the local community each year.
Student numbers confirmed by HESA for 2018/19.
Our graduates are sought-after by employers - more so than most other major UK universities.
- 95.7% of graduates enter employment, further study or both shortly after graduating*
- 160,000 alumni across the globe from more than 180 countries.
* HESA Destination of Leavers in Higher Education survey 2016/17
We have a world-leading research community with a strong and broad research base:
- 5th university nationally in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on rankings based on quality
- 2nd university nationally in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) on rankings based on impact
- our research contract awards have a total value of ￡100m
- we have won six Queen's Anniversary Prizes
- more than ￡45m has been invested in Cardiff University/Fusion IP spinouts
- we are 8th in the UK for interactions with SMEs since 2008*
- we rank 5th in the UK for estimated turnover (￡72m) of all active graduate start-ups during the period 2008/09 - 2013/14**
- our researchers include two Nobel Prize winners - Professor Sir Martin Evans and Professor Robert Huber.
*Encouraging a British Invention Revolution, Sir Andrew Witty, October 2013.
**Higher Education - Business Collaboration Interaction (HE-BCI).